7/21/2012

Church of Sant Francesc; Spain


The Sant Francesc convent, located in the small Catalan town of Santpedor, Spain, was built in the early 18th century by Franciscan priests.  In 1835 the convent was sacked.  Thereafter began the process of progressive deterioration of the building that ended with its demolition in 2000.  Only the church remained standing, but in a completely ruinous state.





The project was aimed to convert the church into an auditorium and a multifunctional cultural facility.  the intervention has consolidated the church without deleting the process of deterioration and collapse that the building had suffered.  Designers at David Closes Arquitecte maintained the dimensions of the church interior space, and also the unusual entries of natural light produced by partial roof collapses.  Rather than reconstructing the church, the intervention has just consolidated the old fabric distinguishing clearly the new elements executed of the original ones.  The renovation allows you to read historical wounds and the buildings most important spatial values without giving up the use of contemporary language in the new elements introduced in the intervention.




The new programmatic volumes inserted (as vertical accesses or technical equipment) have been located partially outside of the church with the aim of preserving the inner space unity of the nave.  In addition, the new stairs and ramps provide a circular route across the building with amazing and diverse views.