The pastoral nature of the campus is perhaps its most remarkable quality. It should be permitted to grow outwards, or inwards in this case, covering the campus center with trees, flowers, and grass. The park is re-drawn. An idylic garden is the result, creating a special place for gathering, conducting informal classes, and simply relaxing. The notion of weaving together the campus is again evident, blurring the distinction between old and new, building and landscape.
An interior seam slices through the topography creating an active void, a hybrid place, in which a variety of activities can unfold. It is an avenue, gently descending, controlling the flow of traffic, leading to a monumental stair carrying visitors upwards like the Champs Elysees or the Campidoglio in Rome.
The central seam serves many purposes;
- An entry court, from which accessto the various departments exist
- A node, or point of trajectory to another destination
- A forum for the exchange of ideas as students gather after class to discuss their views
- A pizza, with the cafeteria spilling out creating a real destination to stop and relax
- An outdoor theatre, as the stair can be used in an amphitheater like fashion
- A sculpture garden where indoor gallery events can push outwards